The secret to treating stress is that prevention is better than cure. Staying on top of stress is the best solution to beating stress. The good news is that techniques for preventing stress are easy to learn.
Here are some simple ways to prevent stress :
- Don't take on too much - remain realistic about what you can do. Don't be afraid to turn things down because you think you may miss out on a promotion.
- Have some down time - allow yourself to switch off from everyday reality. Take on a hobby. Do some exercise. Play a game of squash. Go out for a meal and a movie. Have some fun, life is not always serious.
- Treat yourself - if you have had a hard day, why not run a hot bath and spend a few hours soaking your weary body and reading a trashy novel
- Keep in touch with friends - Often talking to your friends is the reality check you need when stress is making you depressed.
- Laugh - see something funny or see the funny side in something.
- For people that are chronically stressed out take up meditation or yoga. These types of activities can help you to change how your body responds to stress and can help you to relax more completely.
Where people fail in combating stress is that they are not disciplined enough to follow through with common stress management techniques because they are lazy, get in a rut or don't believe the techniques work.